Skip to content
- O’Brien KK, Dzingina M, Harding R, Gao W, Namisango E, Avery L, Davis AM. Developing a short-form version of the HIV Disability Questionnaire (SF-HDQ) for use in clinical practice: a Rasch analysis. Health Qual Life Outcomes 2021; 19, 6. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12955-020-01643-2. Available at: https://rdcu.be/cddUb; https://hqlo.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12955-020-01643-2
- O’Brien KK, Bergin C, Solomon P, O’Dea S, Forde C, Vajravelu, S. Cross-Cultural Application of the Episodic Disability Framework for Adults Living with HIV in Ireland: A Qualitative Study. Disability and Rehabilitation. 2021; 43(2): 229-240. DOI: 10.1080/09638288.2019.1621395. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09638288.2019.1621395
- Kietrys DM, Parrott JS, Galantino ML, Davis T, Levin T, O’Brien KK. Self-reported disability in persons with HIV-related neuropathy is mediated by pain interference and depression. Physical Therapy Journal (PTJ). Physical Therapy, Volume 100, Issue 12, December 2020, Pages 2174–2185, https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/pzaa161. Available at: https://academic.oup.com/ptj/article/100/12/2174/5903662
- O’Brien KK, Ibáñez-Carrasco F, Solomon P, Harding R, Brown D, Ahluwalia P, Chan Carusone S, Baxter L, Emlet C, Restall G, Casey A, Ahluwalia A, Quigley A, Terpstra A, Iku N. Research priorities for rehabilitation and aging with HIV: a framework from the Canada-International HIV and Rehabilitation Research Collaborative (CIHRRC). AIDS Research and Therapy. May 19, 2020; 17:21. DOI: 10.1186/s12981-020-00280-5. https://aidsrestherapy.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12981-020-00280-5
- O’Brien KK, Brown DA, Corbett C, Flanagan N, Solomon P, Vera JH, Aubry R, Harding R. AIDSImpact Special Issue – broadening the lens: recommendations from rehabilitation in chronic disease to advance healthy ageing with HIV. Volume 32. 2020. AIDS Care. Issue Sup2: DOI: 10.1080/09540121.2020.1739203. Available at: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09540121.2020.1739203
- O’Brien KK, Kietrys D, Galantino ML, Parrot JS, Davis T, Tran Q, Aubry R, Solomon P. Reliability and Validity of the HIV Disability Questionnaire (HDQ) with Adults Living with HIV in the United States. Journal of the International Association of Providers of AIDS Care. (JIAPAC). 2019. Volume 18. Jan-Dec;18:2325958219888461. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1177/2325958219888461
- Solomon P, O’Brien KK, McGuff R, Sankey M. Living strategies for disability in men ageing with HIV in Ontario, Canada: a longitudinal qualitative study BMJ Open. 2019;9:e031262. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2019-031262. Available at: https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/9/8/e031262
- Brown DA, Simmons B, Boffito M, Aubry R, Nwokolo N, Harding R, O’Brien KK. Evaluation of the psychometric properties of the HIV Disability Questionnaire among adults living with HIV in the United Kingdom: A cross-sectional self-report measurement study. PLoS ONE. 2019; 14(7): e0213222. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0213222.
- O’Brien KK, Hanna S, Solomon P, Worthington C, Ibáñez-Carrasco F, Chan Carusone S, Nixon S, Merritt B, Gahagan J, Baxter L, Gayle P, Robinson G, Baltzer Turje R, Tattle S, Yates T. Characterizing the Disability Experience among Adults Living with HIV: A Structural Equation Model Using the HIV Disability Questionnaire (HDQ). BMC Infectious Diseases. 2019; 19:594. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12879-019-4203-0
- Kietrys D, Myezwa H, Galantino ML, Parrott JS, Davis T, Levin T, O’Brien K, Hanass-Hancock J. Functional Limitations and Disability in Persons Living with HIV in South Africa and United States: Similarities and Differences. JIAPAC. Published Online: June 18, 2019. DOI: 10.1177/2325958219850558. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/2325958219850558
- deBoer H, Cudd S, Andrews M, Leung E, Petrie A, Chan Carusone S, O’Brien KK. Recommendations for integrating physical therapy into an interprofessional outpatient care setting for people living with HIV: A qualitative study. BMJ Open 2019;9:e026827. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2018-026827. Published Online: May 24, 2019; Available at: http://bmjopen.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/bmjopen-2018-026827
- Dagenais M, Cheng D, Salbach NM, Brooks D, O’Brien KK. Wireless Physical Activity Monitor Use Among Adults Living with HIV: A Scoping Review. Rehabilitation Oncology. January 2019. 37(1):17-28. https://journals.lww.com/rehabonc/Fulltext/2019/01000/Wireless_Physical_Activity_Monitor_Use_Among.5.aspx
- deBoer H, Andrews M, Cudd S, Leung E, Petrie A, Chan Carusone S, O’Brien KK. Where and how does physical therapy fit? Integrating physical therapy into interprofessional HIV care. Disability and Rehabilitation. 2019: 41(15); 1768-1777, DOI: 10.1080/09638288.2018.1448469. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1080/09638288.2018.1448469.
- O’Brien KK, Solomon P, Ibáñez-Carrasco F, Chegwidden W, McDonnell E, Brown D, Harding R, Bergin C, Worthington C, Tattle S, Baxter L, Nayar A, Kietrys DM, Galantino ML, Yates T on behalf of the Canada- International HIV and Rehabilitation Research Collaborative. Evolution of an International Research Collaborative in HIV and Rehabilitation: Community Engaged Process, Lessons Learned, and Recommendations. Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education and Action. Winter. 2018;12(4):395-408. http://muse.jhu.edu/article/716648
- O’Brien KK, Dagenais M, Solomon P, Worthington C, Chan Carusone S, Ibáñez-Carrasco F, Hanna S, Gahagan J, Baxter L, Robinson G, Gayle P, James D, Yates T. and the HIV, Health and Rehabilitation Survey (HHRS) Team. Use of Living Strategies among HIV+ persons in Canada: Comparison by age group using data from the HIV, Health and Rehabilitation Survey. Journal of the International Association of Providers of AIDS Care (JIAPAC). May 10, 2018; Volume 17; 1-16. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2325958218774041
- Kietrys DM, Galantino ML, Cohen ET, Parrott JS, Gould-Fogerite S, O’Brien KK. Yoga for Persons Living with HIV-related Distal Sensory Polyneuropathy: A Case Series. Rehabilitation Oncology. April 2018; Volume 36 Issue 2; 123-131. https://journals.lww.com/rehabonc/Fulltext/2018/04000/Yoga_for_Persons_With_HIV_Related_Distal_Sensory.7.aspx
- Solomon P, O’Brien KK, Nixon S, Letts L, Baxter L, Gervais N. Trajectories of Episodic Disability in People Aging with HIV: A Longitudinal Qualitative Study. Journal of the International Association of Providers of AIDS Care (JIAPAC). 2018 Jan-Dec;17:2325958218759210. doi: 10.1177/2325958218759210. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/2325958218759210
- Solomon P, Letts L, O’Brien KK, Nixon S, Baxter L, Gervais N. ‘I’m still here, I’m still alive’: Understanding successful aging in the context of HIV. International Journal of STD and AIDS. 2018. 29(2):172-177.
- Vader K, Simonik A, Ellis D, Kesbian D, Leung P, Jachyra P, Chan Carusone S, O’Brien KK. ‘Physical activity’ versus ‘exercise’ among people living with HIV: A qualitative study. International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation. 2017; 24:11, 473-482. https://doi.org/10.12968/ijtr.2017.24.11.473
- Montgomery CA, Henning KJ, Kantarzhi SR, Kideckel TB, Yang CFM, O’Brien KK. Experiences participating in a community-based exercise programme from the perspective of people living with HIV: a qualitative study. BMJ Open 2017;7:e015861. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2017-015861. http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/7/4/e015861.
- Li A, McCabe T, Silverstein E, Dragan S, Salbach NM, Zobeiry M, Beldick S, Godi C, O’Brien KK. Community-based exercise in the context of HIV: Factors to consider when developing and implementing community-based exercise programs for people living with HIV. Journal of the International Association of Providers of AIDS Care (JIAPAC). 2017; 16(3): 267-275. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2325957416686836
- O’Brien KK, Bayoumi AM, Solomon P, Tang A, Murzin K, Chan Carusone S, Zobeiry M, Nayar A, Davis AM. Evaluating a Community-Based Exercise Intervention with Adults Living with HIV: Protocol for an Interrupted Time Series Study. BMJ Open. 2016;6:e013618 doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2016-013618. http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/10/e013618.full
- Simonik A, Vader K, Ellis D, Kesbian D, Leung P, Jachyra P, Chan Carusone S, O’Brien KK. Are you ready? Exploring readiness to engage in exercise among people living with HIV and multi-morbidity in Toronto, Canada: a qualitative study. BMJ Open 2016;6:e010029 doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2015-010029. http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/3/e010029.full
- Galantino ML, Kietrys DM, Parrott JS, Stevens ME, Stevens AM, Condoluci DV. Quality of life and self-reported lower extremity function in adults with HIV-related distal sensory polyneuropathy. Physical Therapy 2014; 94(10):1455-66. doi: 10.2522/ptj.20130337.
- O’Brien KK, Ibáñez-Carrasco I, Solomon P, Harding R, Cattaneo J, Chegwidden W, Gahagan J, Baxter L, Worthington C, Gayle P, Merritt B, Baltzer-Turje R, Iku N, Zack E. Advancing research and practice in HIV and rehabilitation: a framework of research priorities in HIV, disability and rehabilitation. BMC Infectious Diseases. 2014;14:724. DOI: 10.1186/s12879-014-0724-8.
- Solomon P, O’Brien K, Wilkins S, Gervais N. Aging with HIV: A Model of Disability. Journal of the International Association of Providers in AIDS Care. Published online. August 2014. DOI: 10.1177/2325957414547431
- Hawkins C, Eva G. Understanding HIV Management. OT News. 2014; 22(12): 44-45.
- Galantino ML, Kietrys D, Parrott JS, Stevens ME, Steves AM, Condoluci DV. Quality of Life and Self-Reported Lower Extremity Function in Adults with HIV-related Distal Sensory Polyneuropathy. Physical Therapy Journal. doi: 10.2522/ptj.20130337.
- O’Brien KK, Solomon P, Trentham B, MacLachlan D, MacDermid J, Tynan AM, Baxter L, Casey A, Chegwidden W, Robinson G, Tran T, Wu J, Zack E. Evidence-informed recommendations for rehabilitation with older adults living with HIV: a knowledge synthesis. BMJ Open 2014;4:e004692. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2013-004692. http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/4/5/e004692.full
- O’Brien KK, Solomon P, Worthington C, Ibáñez-Carrasco F, Baxter L, Nixon SA, Baltzer-Turje R, The HIV, Health And Rehabilitation Survey Catalyst Team. Considerations for Conducting Web-Based Survey Research With People Living With Human Immunodeficiency Virus Using a Community-Based Participatory Approach. J Med Internet Res 2014;16(3):e81. doi: 10.2196/jmir.3064.
- Gallagher S, Biro S, Creamer E, Della Rossa E, Collins E, Rourke S, Nixon SA. “It’s a Hidden Issue”: Exploring the Experiences of Women with HIV-Associated Neurocognitive Challenges Using a Disability Framework. Disability and Rehabilitation. 2013;35(1):36-46. DOI: 10.3109/ 09638288.2012.687029.
- Hopcroft L, Bester L, Clement D, Quigley A, Sachdeva M, Rourke S, Nixon SA. “My body’s a 50-year-old but my brain is definitely an 85-year-old”: Exploring the Experiences of Men Aging with HIV-associated Neurocognitive Challenges. Journal of the International AIDS Society 2013;16:18506.
- O’Brien K, Solomon P, Worthington C, Ibanez-Carrasco F, Hanna S, Nixon S, Baxter L, Gayle P, Robinson G, and the HIV, Health and Rehabilitation Survey Team. Conducting online survey research with people living with HIV: Lessons learned from piloting the HIV, Health and Rehabilitation Survey. Ontario HIV Treatment Network Research Conference. November 2012.
- Gahagan J,Ross E, Hill-Mann A, Walker S, Lewellen D. and the HIV and Rehabilitation Policy Research Team (2012). HIV, Chronic Disease, and Rehabilitation in Canada: A Scoping Review of HIV Policy Approaches (P201). Can Journal of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology. 23 (Suppl A) Spring 2012. P Canadian Association for HIV Research Conference, Montreal, Quebec. April 19-22, 2012. Pp99A.